Impact of the Due Diligence in Supply Chains Act
23. April 2021, Online
At the beginning of 2021, the German government agreed on the introduction of a new law for human rights due diligence in supply chains (Sorgfaltspflichtengesetz). What changes should German companies expect regarding their procurement and production structures? How will this impact partner countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America? How will the forthcoming European regulation on mandatory due diligence be structured?
• Orlando Baquero, General Manager, Business Association for Latin America
• Dr. Melanie Müller, Senior Associate Middle East and Africa, German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP)
The government’s proposal on mandatory due diligence
• Anne-Kathrin Röthemeyer, Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWI)
Views from businesses:
• Africa: Jörg Wellmeyer, CEO, STRABAG International GmbH
• Asia: Thomas Köning, Managing Partner/CEO, Ospig GmbH & Co. KG
• Latin America: Hauke Will, Director Agricultural Production, Alfred Ritter GmbH & Co. KG
Views from partner countries
• Africa: H.E. Thomas B. Amolo, Ambassador of Kenya
• Asia: H.E. Md. Mosharraf Hossain Bhuiyan, Ambassador of Bangladesh
• Latin America: H.E. Elmer Schialer, Ambassador of Peru
• Moderated by Almut Rößner, Executive Board Member, German Asia-Pacific Business Association (OAV)
• Christoph Kannengiesser, CEO, German-African Business Association
A brief introduction from a think tank perspective will set the scene, before the government proposal for the due diligence in supply chains act is being introduced by a ministerial representative. After that, there will be a presentation of practical examples of German companies from different sectors that produce, provide services to or source primary products from countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Three Ambassadors from these regions will follow to present their perspectives and expectations regarding the impact of the law on local industries. Finally, there is room for discussion.
- Target group: German companies that want to learn about the German Due Diligence in Supply Chains Act and about the planned European regulation on mandatory human rights due diligence, whose international sourcing is affected by the legislation, and who want to find out more about the possible consequences on local economies.
- Intended/ expected number of participants: 150-200.
The event will be held in English. Please register here.
You can find further information on the „BMWi Außenwirtschaftstage“, coordinated by Germany Trade and Invest, in the document below. You can already register via www.bmwi-aussenwirtschaftstage.de. For further questions on the overall event, please contact email@example.com
This event is in cooperation with the Business Association for Latin America and the German-African Business Association. The BMWi invitation to the Foreign Trade Days/Außenwirtschaftstage is available in the Downloads section.